Plattsburgh, the seat of Clinton County, is a city in northeastern New York State, at the mouth of the Saranac River on the western shores of Lake Champlain. Zephanaiah Platt founded Plattsburgh in 1784, bringing with him a company of settlers from Long Island. Ten lots of 100 acres were surveyed and allocated to the first settlers to arrive with their families. Another tract of 100 acres was reserved for the first male child born there. Plattsburgh was incorporated as a village in 1795 and as a city in 1901. Over the years, pieces of Plattsburg were split off to form such other communities as Beekmantown, Saranac, and Schuyler Falls. Benedict Arnold was defeated in a naval battle near Plattsburgh in 1776 in the first naval engagement between British and American ships. The wreck of Arnold's schooner, the Royal Savage, could be seen for the next century. During the War of 1812, Plattsburgh was the headquarters for the American army on the northern front. At the Battle of Plattsburgh in 1814, the Americans defeated the British land and naval forces. The anchor of the HMS Confiance was retrieved from the bottom of Lake Champlain in 1996 and is now on display at city hall. Plattsburgh's Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital is the result of a merger of Champlain Valley Hospital (1903) and Physicians Hospital (1911). Plattsburgh State University, also known as SUNY at Plattsburgh, was established in 1889. The university has an art museum, the Plattsburgh State Art Museum, on their campus. The Kent-Delord House Museum operates in the house that the British used as their officers quarters during the War of 1812. An organization has been formed to promote a future Battle of Plattsburgh Museum.