Kansas State University is a comprehensive, research, land-grant institution located in Manhattan, Kansas. It serves a student population of more than 20,000 through its main campus in Manhattan and four branch campuses. It offers more than 250 undergraduate majors, 113 graduate majors, and more than a dozen professional and certificate programs through its nine colleges and schools, and it operates a number of research facilities. Governed by the state's Board of Regents, Kansas State University was established in 1863, under provisions of the Morrill Act. At first, the university functioned under the name Kansas State Agricultural College on the grounds of the old Bluemont Central College, which was incorporated by the Kansas Territorial legislature, in 1858. The college, according to university archives, was deeded to the state of Kansas in 1863, for the creation of Kansas State Agricultural College. In 1875, the university moved to its present location. The university's first building, Holtz Hall, was erected in 1876. It is now the oldest free-standing building on campus. Anderson Hall, erected in three stages between 1877 and 1884, is the signature building at the university. The building, now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, has housed the university's administrative offices for most of the 20th century. In its initial phase, the institution witnessed debate over whether the college should provide a focused agricultural education or a full liberal arts education. The name of the school was changed in 1927, to Kansas State College, and in 1955, the name was changed again to Kansas State University, to reflect a growing number of graduate programs. Buildings, including residence halls and a student union, were added to the campus in the 1950s. Although the university’s main campus is located in Manhattan, there is one branch campus located in Salina. This campus was established through a merger of the former Kansas College of Technology, in 1991. Kansas State University is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, and provides higher education through fulfilling its historic educational mission in teaching, research, and public service.