Morehouse College is the largest private liberal arts college in the nation for African-American men and is located three miles south of downtown Atlanta, Georgia.
The college was founded as Augusta Institute by a Baptist minister and cabinetmaker, Reverand William Jefferson White in 1867. Originally housed in Springfield Baptist Church (the oldest independent African American church in the United States) in Augusta, the Institute moved to the basement of Friendship Baptist Church in Atlanta in 1879 and named Atlanta Baptist Seminary.
In 1885, the Georgia Seminary moved to the present location and twelve years later it was renamed Atlanta Baptist College. Upon the death of its founder in 1913, the college once again changed the name to Morehouse College, in reverence to the corresponding secretary of the Northern Baptist Home Mission Society Henry L. Morehouse. In 1957, Morehouse received full accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Morehouse provides 26 major programs in three academic divisions: Humanities and Social Sciences, Science and Mathematics, and Business and Economics. A dual program in Engineering is offered in association with the Georgia Institute of Technology. The programs and activities available at the Leadership Center, Morehouse Research Institute, and the Andrew Young Center for International Affairs enhance the curriculum. Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science are awarded. Phi Beta Kappa, Honors, and study abroad are included in the special programs.
Martin Luther King Jr. International Chapel is a prestigious religious memorial in the 61-acre campus.
Above all, this all-male historically African American institution of higher learning serves as a member of the Georgia Research Alliance, the Associated Colleges of the South, and the Atlanta University Center. It is also a member of the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Division II.