History of Allentown, Pennsylvania
Start Your Visit WithHistorical Timelines
General Interest Maps
Allentown, the county seat of Lehigh County, is located 50 miles north-northwest of Philadelphia on the Lehigh River. It is connected on the east with Bethlehem and along with Bethlehem and Easton constitutes a metropolitan area. Allentown is in an area of limestone deposits, from which developed the cement industry for which the city is known. The surrounding agricultural area is part of the Pennsylvania Dutch region.
The land on which Allentown later developed was obtained from Thomas Penn, son of William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania. In 1745, it was purchased by William Allen, a Philadelphia merchant. Allen built a private lodge on the site but the town itself did not begin to develop until the 1760's. At first it was named Northhampton, as was the county around it. In 1770, William Allen's son James Allen built Trout Hall, which is now a museum.
The community was incorporated as a borough in 1811 and became the county seat of newly formed Lehigh County the following year. In 1838, the name was changed to Allentown in honor of its founder. Allentown Seminary opened its doors in 1848, changing its name to Muhlenberg College in 1867. Lehigh was given city status in 1867.
... Lane Normal Avenue North Street North Pearl Street Orton Place Park Street Pennsylvania Avenue Plymouth Avenue Porter Avenue Richmond Avenue St John's Place St Louis Place Symphony Circle Trinity Place Virginia Place Virginia Street Wadsworth ...
It is bordered by New ...University of Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania, University of, in Philadelphia; private with some state support; coeducational. ...Pennsylvania: Temperature Extremes - Month Maximum °F Year Place Minimum °F Year Place Jan ...
... another State Pennsylvania "Four score and seven years ago" "The Civil War in Pennsylvania" City of Steel "Rivers of Steel" Freedom for All "National Freedom Day" Fruit or Vegetable? "Pittston Tomato Festival" Have Some Fun at Funfest ...