Kempf House Museum
Start Your Visit WithHistorical Timelines
General Interest Maps
The Kempf House Museum is a living museum interpreting the early history of Ann Arbor, Michiganís Victorian lifestyle architecture, interior decoration, and landscapes from 1850 to 1910.
Built in 1853, for Henry D. Bennett, the house is an excellent example of the Greek Revival-style of architecture.
The house, similar to the temples of ancient Greece, is symmetrical with a triangular pediment above the square columns. Delicate cast iron grilles in an ancient Greek floral motif highlight the frieze of the house.
The first occupants of the house were Bennett, secretary and steward of the University of Michigan, and Mary Bennett. The Bennett family occupied the house till 1890, when they moved to Pasadena, California.
After that, it became the home and studio of local musicians Reuben H. Kempf and Pauline Widenmann Kempf, prominent Ann Arbor musicians of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They were the key persons who elevated Ann Arbor to a world-class music site.
Trained in Germany, Mr. Kempf came to Ann Arbor with his wife and three children to teach piano and organ. They lived here through the early part of the 20th century and enriched the cityís cultural life with music, lessons, concerts, and entertainments. During that period, several internationally known musicians visited the house.
The city of Ann Arbor purchased the house from the Kempf family in 1969, and in 1983, it became the Kempf House Center for Local History and serves the functions of a local historical society for the city.
Trained guides are available to lead visitors through the restored rooms, including the music studio where the 1877 Steinway concert grand piano remains as it has for more than 100 years.
State House Museum
... State House Museum CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS UNTIL DECEMBER 2006 The Delaware State House was the first permanent capitol building in Dover, Delaware. Begun in 1787 and completed by May 1792, this Georgian-style structure was originally home to ...
Mission Houses Museum Library
In 1950, the present building was completed to house the collections of the Hawaiian Mission Children's Society and the Hawaiian Historical Society. The library has continually expanded its collection, and today its resources include more than 12 ...
New Castle Court House Museum
... Welcome to the New Castle Court House Museum Welcome to the New Castle Court House, the oldest surviving government building in Delaware. Visit this historic structure, located in the heart of old New Castle, and learn how New Castle, Kent ...