Iowa State University (ISU) is a Carnegie Doctoral/Research-Extensive institution located in Ames, Iowa. The was founded in March 1858, with the establishment of State Agricultural College and Model Farm.
In 1862, the Iowa legislature voted to accept the terms of the Morrill Act, and Iowa State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts was founded. The college was renamed Iowa State University of Science and Technology in 1959 (now commonly known as Iowa State University).
This public land-grant and space-grant university offers graduate, graduate, and professional degree programs in nine colleges. The colleges include agriculture, business, design, engineering, education, graduate, family and consumer sciences, liberal arts and sciences, and veterinary medicine.
Highly effective first-year programs, a variety of majors, and some leading research in the biological and physical sciences, are included in academic studies. Distance education is available through ISU Extension's Continuing Education and Communication Services.
As a leading institution in research and technology transfer accomplishments, ISU has launched research and technology transfer initiatives, including agricultural biotechnology, plant and animal genomics, bioinformatics, "smart" materials, agricultural product and market development, human nutrition, and human-computer performance.
Some research units associated with the university include Ames Laboratory, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development, Information Assurance Center, Information Infrastructure Institute, Center for Integrated Animal Genomics, Iowa Energy Center, and Plant Sciences Institute.
The university comprises more than 160 buildings. Most are listed on the National Register of Historic Places on its 2,000-acre, park-like campus. Campanile, a landmark built in 1897-1898, houses the Stanton Memorial carillon bells.
The Iowa State Center is a four-building conference, athletic, and performance complex. The Brunnier Art Museum, in the Scheman Building, and the Farm House Museum on the central campus, house an extensive art collections. The 14-acre Reiman Gardens offer a pleasing view at the south entrance. The conservatory complex of the garden includes the conservatory and greenhouses, a butterfly wing, restaurant, auditorium, and gift shop.
Since 1922, the university has celebrated VEISHEA, one of the largest student-run celebrations in the world, every spring.