University Gallery, a teaching museum, was founded in 1978 by the Board of Trustees of the University of Delaware. Its vision is to promote excellence and understanding of the arts and humanities at the University, and stimulate the cultural development of its students and the citizens of Delaware. The gallery is situated at Old College, in downtown Newark, which is reported to be the first Greek Revival structure in the state. The building was constructed in 1832 and served as the original classroom and dormitory facility for the institution, then known as Newark College. Now, it has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The gallery collections include rare images from photographer Gertrude Kasebier, extensive displays of pre-Columbian pottery and American Inuit drawings, and works ranging from Russian icons through contemporary American photography. The collections are used in instructing students in art historical research, art techniques, and in the standards and practices of the museum profession. The Exhibition Hall consists of two galleries and a print study room. An exhibition preparation area, collections storage, and administrative offices are situated one floor below the exhibition area. The gallery is also home to University’s Museum Studies Program, the Departments of Art History and Art Conservation, and the Winterthur Program in Early American Culture.