Arlington is a residential suburb of Boston, located 6 miles from the metropolis in Middlesex County. The first settlement came in 1630, when it was a part of Cambridge known as Menotomy. It incorporated as West Cambridge in 1807, only gaining its current name in 1867. Arlington has a number of sites that commemorate its role during the Revolutionary War, including the Jason Russell House, built in 1740. Following the Battle of Lexington and Concord, a number of patriot soldiers sought refuge here. A skirmish was fought with British soldiers in which Russell and 11 soldiers died. During the 19th century, Arlington had market gardens that helped feed the population of Boston. The Smith Museum, completed in 1980, highlights the history of Arlington from a rural community to a Boston suburb. It is operated by the Arlington Historical Society, founded in 1897. The Cyrus E. Dallin Art Museum houses many examples of Dallin's work. Dallin, who lived in Arlington from 1900 until his death in 1944, is best known for his bronze statue of Paul Revere. Arlington has no higher education of its own, but Tufts University is only five minutes away in neighboring Medford.