History of Arkansas City, Kansas
Start Your Visit WithHistorical Timelines
General Interest Maps
Arkansas City is situated at the confluence of the Arkansas and Walnut rivers in Cowley County, 60 miles from Wichita. The local pronunciation of the name mimics the pronunciation of the state, arkanzas rather than arkansaw. Both for speed and to avoid problems with pronunciation, the city is often just called Ark City.
Arkansas City was founded in 1870 as Walnut City and incorporated under its present name in 1872. When settlers headed for newly opened land in the Indian Territory in 1889 and 1893, many of them used Arkansas City as a jumping-off point. The city's population reportedly jumped from 5,000 to 150,000 and returned to 5,000 after the rush. The 1893 event was called the Cherokee Strip Land Rush and the city maintains the Cherokee Strip Land Rush Museum to commemorate those days.
At the start of the 20th century, Arkadelphia was a worthy rival to Wichita, but its economic base has dwindled and the population has stagnated. Arkansas City's most famous descendant is Elizabeth Taylor, both of whose parents were born here.
Arkansas City wanted to be the county seat, but lost that distinction to Winfield, a dozen miles away. The history of the county is on display at the Cowley County Historical Museum in Winfield. Arkansas City is served by Cowley County Community College and South Central Kansas Regional Medical Center.
Kansas History in the Arkansas Encyclopedia of Arkansas Arkansas History State of Arkansas
... history of arkansas arkansas territory arkansas historian state of arkansas Arkansas encyclopedia encyclopedia of arkansas,arkansas encyclopedia,learn about arkansas arkansas history history of arkansas arkansas territory arkansas historian ...
Kansas Telephone and City Directories
... State Historical Society library contains a large collection of both published city directories and telephone directories for the state of Kansas. Many of the directories have been microfilmed and can be borrowed through interlibrary loan.