New Haven is the second largest city in Connecticut and the seat of New Haven County. Situated on Long Island Sound about 75 miles from New York City, New Haven is both a manufacturing and educational center for Connecticut. Neighboring Waterbury is 21 miles from New Havenand situated on the Naugatuck River.
In the spring of 1638, a group of English Puritans led by Theophilus Eaton and the Rev. John Davenport, settled at the head of New Haven Bay. At first it was ruled by a "plantation covenant," but in 1639, the settlers decided to become a theocracy and to be ruled entirely by scripture. The Old Green in the center of the city was laid out by the surveyor John Brockett around 1640.
In 1664, New Haven became part of the colony of Connecticut. From 1701 to 1873, New Haven shared the title of capital with Hartford. During the Revolutionary War, New Haven supported the American cause, although there were numerous Loyalists in the city, 75 of whom had their property confiscated. New Haven was invaded by General William Tryon in 1779, but the British were repulsed before they could burn the city.
Yale College, founded in Saybrook, was moved to New Haven in 1717, where it developed into Yale University. Some of Yale's buildings are found around the Old Green, along with three churches that were built in 1814: Trinity, Center, and United. Another landmark is the Ives Memorial Library, the central library of the New Haven Free Public Library, built in 1908. The New Haven Symphony Orchestra is the fourth oldest symphony in America, having given its first performance in 1895.
Edgerton Park is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Edgewood Park began with sixty acres donated in 1889. Frederick Law Olmsted Jr. designed the layout in 1910.
Yale-New Haven Hospital is the primary hospital associated with Yale University. St. Raphael's Hospital, founded in 1907, also co-operates with Yale's medical school.