Cogswell Polytechnical College
Start Your Visit WithHistorical Timelines
General Interest Maps
Cogswell Polytechnical College is a prominent institution, located in Sunnyvale, California. It offers technology-driven and innovative degree programs in digital arts, fire science, and engineering.
The college was charted on March 19, 1887, by Dr. and Mrs. Henry Cogswell. In August 1888, it opened as a high school with well-equipped departments of technical education for boys and business education for girls. It was the first of its kind west of the Mississippi River.
The school operated in this capacity until 1930, when it acquired a status of technical college, offering a college-level, two-year program. By 1971, the college started offering four-year bachelor degrees.
The college has inhabited five campuses in the course of its history.
In 1888, it occupied its first building, which was in the Mission District, San Francisco. In 1906, when an earthquake partially destroyed the campus, the college relocated across the street to an existing home. Other locations were Folsom and 26th streets (in 1917), Stockton and California streets (in 1974), and Cupertino, in 1985. In 1993, the college purchased its present Sunnyvale campus.
A bachelor's degree in Computer and Video Imaging prepares students for a career in a variety of fields including traditional drawn and puppet animation, character animation, and CG design and modeling.
Other programs are CG technical direction, software engineering, electrical engineering, network engineering, game design, and digital illustration. The curriculum also covers Music Engineering and Digital Audio Technology.
Accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Cogswell Polytechnic College is an institutional member of the Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities. It is also approved for veterans’ training and cooperates with the State of California Department of Vocational Rehabilitation.
Total enrollment is approximately 420, including 180 full-time and 130 part-time undergraduates. The college has 13 full-time and 62 part-time faculty members. Scholarships (on the basis of merit), grants (on the basis of financial need), and loans are available.
The holdings of the college library include a book collection of more than 12,000 volumes and approximately 100 current periodical subscriptions.
It is one of only two religious-affiliated colleges to begin operation in Ohio during the twentieth century. Today, Defiance College continues to be affiliated with the United Church of Christ. Both men and women of all religious backgrounds are ...
... and aspirations of the Sisters of Mercy, College of Saint Mary is a Catholic college dedicated to the education of women in an environment that calls forth potential and fosters leadership. This mission inspires us to: ¨ Academic ...
... four women who enrolled that year made Oberlin College the first coeducational college in the United States. Three of the four women graduated with A.B. degrees in 1841, the first women in the United States to attain this degree. Oberlin ...