Start Your Visit WithHistorical Timelines
General Interest Maps
Troy University, formerly known as Troy State University, is a public university situated in Troy, Alabama. The Troy University system consists of 58 sites in seventeen states and eleven other countries. The university provides a variety of educational programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels for a diverse student body in traditional, nontraditional, and emerging electronic formats.
The university encompasses a 460-acre campus plus the adjacent Troy University Arboretum. The campus houses about 35 major buildings. The university's dedicated faculty and staff promote discovery and exploration of knowledge and its application to life-long success through effective teaching, service, creative partnerships, scholarship, and research.
The university was founded in February 1887, by an act of the Alabama Legislature as State Normal School – an institution to train teachers for Alabama’s schools. The school changed its name to Troy State Normal College in 1893.
Until 1929, the college offered extension courses for teachers and granted teaching certificates. The State Board of Education changed the charter of the institution and renamed it Troy State Teacher’s College.
In 1930, the college moved to its present site and the first two buildings were dedicated - Shackelford Hall, in memory of Edward Madison Shackelford president of the school, from 1899-1936, and Bibb Graves, Alabama’s “education governor.”
In 1957, the legislature voted to change the name to Troy State College and to allow it to begin a Master's degree program. In 1969, the college earned university status and changed its name to Troy State University.
The Troy University system has additional major campuses in the state of Alabama including Troy University Phenix in Phenix City, Troy University Montgomery, and Troy University Dothan. The university boasts a large off-campus/distance learning program and features different courses in conjunction with the United States Armed Forces.
Residents named the town after the ancient city of Troy. Established in 1808, Troy became the Miami County seat that same year, replacing Staunton. Troy grew quickly, primarily due to its location on the Great Miami River, on the Miami and Erie ...
Following the organization of Doniphan county in 1855 Troy was named the county seat and business began there in 1856. Initially it played a secondary role to such Missouri river towns as Elwood, Iowa Point and White Cloud, but the coming of the ...
Thompson Family of Troy, New York
Thompson Family of Troy, New York Surnames: Austin Brown Clark Corbett Cotton Curtis Dunnel Dwinel Eames Edson French Frye Grover Hall Hayford Herrick Higgins Hinckley Junkins Levering Maddox Morrison Patten Philbrook Quimby Saxton Smith Whitney ...