Between 1773 and 1786, Betsy Ross lived in this house located on the north side of Arch Street, between Second and Third Streets, in Philadelphia. The house was built about 1740 in the Georgian style and consists of 2-1/2 floors and nine rooms. After Betsy moved from here in 1786, the Betsy Ross Memorial Association acquired it. Starting in 1898, two million Americans donated dimes to the Association to help convert the house from a time-worn building into a national shrine. In 1937, the building was donated to the city of Philadelphia, and restored with monetary assistance of radio manufacturing magnate Atwater Kent. Today in Philadelphia, only the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall draw more visitors than the home of the adored flag maker. Annually, over a quarter of a million guests visit the Betsy Ross House.