Founded in 1890, Savannah State University is the oldest historically black, public college in Georgia. Located in ^Savannah, it is a part of Georgia's statewide university system. The university campus is spread over 165 acres with the historic city of Savannah on one side and saltwater marshes, rivers, and the Atlantic Ocean on the other. Savannah State was established as Georgia State Industrial College in Athens, Georgia, and remained there for several months. In October 1891, the college was moved to its present location, with Major Richard R. Wright as its first president. The college became a full-time, degree-granting institution in 1928. Four years later, the college was renamed Georgia State College. In 1950, during the tenure of its fifth president, Dr. William K. Payne, the college was renamed again, this time to Savannah State College. The college gained university status, offered by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia in 1996, and thus it became Savannah State University. Savannah State has the distinction of being the second campus in the University System of Georgia to be connected wirelessly. The university offers baccalaureate and master's degree programs. Some of the various disciplines include engineering, history, gerontology, industrial management technology, marine sciences, mass communications, music, psychology, naval science, sociology, and religious and philosophical studies. The university comprises a number of colleges, including the College of Business Administration, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, and College of Sciences and Technology. The university also maintains the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Academic Support, which is committed to offering life-long learning, and helping to improve faculty teaching skills and students' academic skills. Savannah State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges.