South Carolina State University (SCSU) is a historically black university located in Orangeburg, South Carolina. Since its inception in 1896, the university has maintained a legacy of excellence in education. The university aims to provide education and service to all the citizens of the state. SCSU was established as the state's sole public college for black youth. The university has played a major role in the education of African Americans in the state and nation. Its students major in agribusiness, accounting, English, art, drama, merchandising, psychology, physics, and political science. South Carolina State University is considered among the national leaders in producing African-American students with baccalaureate degrees in biology, business, education, computer science/mathematics, engineering technology, and English language/literature. The university also is renowned as one of the three universities in South Carolina to offer a doctoral program in educational administration and one of two schools in the state to offer a master's degree program in speech-language pathology. Through its extension program, the university sends farm and home demonstration agents into rural counties to provide information to impoverished black farm families. During the Great Depression, the Rosenwald Fund and the General Education Board helped the university to survive. Following World War II, the state legislature began a graduate program and a law school at the university. The additions were intended to encourage black students to enroll there, rather than at University of South Carolina's graduate and legal education programs. The legislature also provided enough funding at the college to make it a "separate but equal" higher-education institution in South Carolina. Since 1966, SCSU has been open to white students and faculties, but the university has largely retained its mission and character as a historically black institution. The agricultural program of the university was terminated in 1971, and the college farm was changed into a community recreation center comprising a golf course, soccer field, and baseball field. Currently, the university enrolls nearly 5,000 students.