Bowie State University is one of the oldest historically African-American institutions in Maryland. It is a part of Maryland's university system, one of the largest in the nation. Its main aim is to provide affordable, high-quality educational opportunities at the baccalaureate, master's and doctoral levels. The institution began on January 9, 1865, when the Baltimore Association for the Moral and Educational Improvement of Colored People founded the Baltimore Normal School in Baltimore. Its main purpose was to train African-American teachers. The school was renamed Normal School No. 3 in 1908, then came to be known as Maryland Normal and Industrial School at Bowie in 1914, when it moved to Prince George's County, Maryland. Later, it became Maryland State Teachers College at Bowie in 1935, and Bowie State College in 1963. In 1988, it attained university status. Accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, the university provides 19 undergraduate majors, 17 graduate majors, and doctoral degrees in such areas as computer science, communications, human resource development, and nursing. Certificate programs also are offered. It confers degrees through five schools: Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, Professional Studies, and Graduate and Continuing Education. The Thurgood Marshall Library provides access to all the items in the University of Maryland system. Athletic facilities include a stadium and arena. Located on 339 acres in Bowie, the campus consists of more than 24 buildings, covering about one million square feet. Built in 1921, the Tubman hall is the oldest edifice in the campus. The Center for Learning Technology, Bowie Place dormitory, and New Science Building are other notable buildings. The campus also includes the Marc Train Station and Metrobus services for the convenience of students and staff.