Saint Joseph’s Hospital, a member of Catholic Health East, is the oldest medical center and the only Catholic hospital in Atlanta, Georgia. For 125 years, the 360-bed acute-care facility has provided healthcare services to the community. Established in 1880 by the sisters of Mercy, Saint Joseph’s Hospital opened its doors as Atlanta Hospital, on Baker Street. In 1900, a school of nursing was added. The hospital continued to grow, and it became Saint Joseph’s Infirmary. The infirmary was then moved to a three-story building on Courtland Street, and later to a 32-acre campus in the North Atlanta area. In 1978, the infirmary’s name was changed to Saint Joseph’s Hospital of Atlanta. A specialty referral hospital in the Southeast, Saint Joseph’s is the first in Georgia and among the few in the nation to perform robotic-assisted surgery. Areas of specialization include heart and vascular, neuroscience, orthopedics, cancer, diabetes, and gastroenterology care. The Center for Heart and Vascular Care, nationally recognized as the 12th-largest cardiac program, was the first facility in the Southeast to perform open-heart surgery and angioplasty, and to develop a cardiac catheterization laboratory. Saint Joseph's Center for Cancer Care and Research is committed to providing advanced cancer programs and services. It is complemented by screening and prevention programs, diagnostic and treatment procedures, dedicated research therapies, and a cancer survivors program. Saint Joseph's Research Institute, along with its subsidiary, American Cardiovascular Research Institute, focuses on translational research, pre-clinical, and clinical research and trials, and education and data outcome analysis. The hospital’s Gamma Knife Center excels in stereotactic and radiosurgery services. The Trammell Voice and Swallowing Center, the only one of its kind in the Southeast, involves all aspects of analysis and rehabilitation of throat disorders. Saint Joseph's participates in a variety of basic and preventive health care, and social services to the community through Mercy Care Services, a volunteer project to serve the homeless population in Atlanta. The Wellness and Rehabilitation Care, located at 1155 Mount Vernon Highway, includes a lap pool, water therapy pool, and cardiovascular and strength training equipment. In addition, Saint Joseph’s Hospital operates numerous mobile clinics and two standing clinics in downtown Atlanta and Northeast Plaza on Buford Highway.