Pepperdine University (PU) is located on Pacific Coast Highway overlooking Malibu, California. The school is affiliated with the Churches of Christ. In 1937, PU was established by George Pepperdine as a small undergraduate school in southcentral Los Angeles. Gradually, new colleges were added and in 1971, the institution gained university status. In 1972, a new campus was opened on 830 acres in Malibu. Pepperdine University today comprises seven schools, including the graduate campuses of West Los Angeles, Encino, Irvine, Long Beach, Pasadena, Westlake Village, and Santa Clara Center. The university offers comprehensive undergraduate and graduate curricula covering a broad spectrum of programs and majors. The university’s library system includes eight libraries located throughout Los Angeles, Orange, and Ventura counties, as well as the city of Santa Clara. The combined libraries contain more than 650,000 books, periodicals and journals that cover a broad array of subjects and academic disciplines. The university’s art center organizes exciting events throughout the year and draws spectators from all over the Southland. Musicals, theatrical productions, dance recitals, orchestral and choral concerts, and museum exhibits are all part of the center's activities. Pepperdine University’s athletic department provides superior facilities for competition, teaching and training.