Located in Bloomington, Indiana, the Kinsey Institute was established in 1947 as a not-for-profit corporation. Affiliated with Indiana University, it promotes interdisciplinary research and scholarship in the fields of human sexuality, gender, and reproduction. The history of the institute dates back to 1938, when the Association of Women Students demanded that Indiana University start a course for married students or students thinking about marriage. Dr. Alfred C. Kinsey, a Harvard-trained professor of zoology, requested that he coordinate the course. The National Research Council financially supported Kinsey's pioneer work. The institute investigates sexual behavior and sexual health today. It collects resources for scholars, conducts interdisciplinary conferences and seminars, and provides information services. The collection includes library materials, film and video, fine art, artifacts, photographs, and archived materials. The Kinsey Institute awards a Ph.D. minor in human sexuality for students enrolled in doctoral programs such as counseling, education, health behavior, psychology, and sociology. The interdepartmental program was started in 1981, offering a broad overview of behavioral, biological, cultural, and social components of sexuality.