Old North Church, also called Christ Church, in the City of Boston, is a place where art, history, and faith meet. It is the oldest church now standing in Boston and is a mission of the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts. The active Episcopal Church is a beautiful example of Georgian architecture. The church was built in 1723, and was inspired by the works of Christopher Wren, a British architect. The first service at the church was held by the Reverend Timothy Cutler. The church rose to fame with its fleeting moment on the night of April 18, 1775. It was on this day, the steeple of the church served a military purpose. The sexton, Robert Newman, climbed the steeple and hung the two lanterns arranged by Paul Revere, which touched off the War of Independence. The box pews, designed to keep worshippers warm; two brass chandeliers given by Captain William Maxwell, the altar rail kneelers, the bells, the organ, the clock on the rear gallery, the figures of cherubim in front of the organ, the Wesley plaque that commemorates the hymn-writer's visit in 1736, the Bay Pew, the bust of George Washington, the Pitcairn plaque, and the original window through which Robert Newman left the church after hanging the lanterns are the significant features of the church. The eight change ringing bells, the oldest bells in North America, were hung in 1745. They were restored in 1894 and in 1975, and have been rung regularly ever since. The church overlooks an 18th-century garden, the Washington Memorial Garden, the Third Lantern Garden, and the St. Francis of Assisi Garden; all are open to the public. Governed by the Corporation of Christ Church in the City of Boston, the church provides outreach programs and adult education programs. The Rite II Eucharist, nursery care, and Baptism are among the services offered. Books, Christmas ornaments, lantern replicas, and flags are available at the church’s gift shop.