The Maine State Capitol Building is a four-story, historic building in Augusta — the state capital of Maine. The foundation stone of this Hallowell granite building was laid in 1829, and the structure was completed three years later. It was designed by Charles Bulfinch of Boston. The structure a 300-foot front with a colonnaded portico in the center and two 75-foot wings facing east. The interior of the Capitol was remodeled in 1852, and again in 1860, to provide additional room for state departments. In 1890, a wing was added to the rear of the building to accommodate the State Library and to provide more office space for its departments. According to the architectural designs of G. Henri Desmond, the Capitol was reconstructed in 1911, after the entire building was demolished, except for the front and rear walls. Two wings were added, and a new dome (Beaux Arts style) of loftier proportions replaced the former one. The edifice has a central, circular drum tower capped with a dome and cupola. The cupola is surmounted by a statue — the draped female figure of Wisdom — designed by W. Clark Noble of Gardiner, Maine, and made of copper plated with gold. Later, neoclassical additions were made to the statehouse with original Greek revival central core. The Capitol was renovated again in 1998, with a new underground pedestrian tunnel and an exhibition hall connecting the west wing with a state office building. The Capitol boasts the old State Museum on the first floor in the reception area of the south wing, and the Governor's offices, the Hall of Flags, and the extensive Law Library on the second floor. At the ends of the third floor are the House of Representatives and Senate Chambers. Throughout the building are portraits of governors and other men and women who have served Maine throughout its history as a province and state. The Maine State Building is now under the supervision of the Poland Spring Preservation Society. To the south side of the Capitol Grounds lie the State Library, State Museum, and State Archives.