Glensheen, is located in Duluth, Minnesota on the shores of Lake Superior and was built by Chester A. Congdon. The Castle was started in 1905 and took about three years to complete. Glensheen resembles an English, early 17th century country estate. The main focus of English estates at that time, was the manor house which was located near the center of the property, with formal gardens dotting the grounds, adding color. Glensheen has been preserved so that, to this day, it closely resembles the way it looked when the Congdon family first occupied the home in November 1908. The majority of the furnishings are original. The estate is historically important because of its original condition, and because a large portion of Duluth's history has been preserved at Glensheen. In 1968, Glensheen was given to the University of Minnesota by the heirs of Chester and Clara Congdon. On July 28, 1979, the estate was opened to the public as a museum.