The University of Rhode Island is a public, research and graduate institution located in historic Kingston, Rhode Island. This co-educational university is a land grant, sea grant, and urban grant institution. Chartered as the state's agricultural school in 1888, the university started as an institution at Oliver Watson’s farm in Kingston. In 1892, the school became the Rhode Island College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, and was renamed the Rhode Island State College in 1909. Gradually the college modified and widened its programs. By an act of the General Assembly, the college became the University of Rhode Island in 1951. Since 1981, the University of Rhode Island has been governed by the Board of Governors for Higher Education. The University of Rhode Island offers nearly 200 undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs. The university encompasses the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Continuing Education, College of Business Administration, the College of Engineering, College of the Environment and Life Sciences, College of Human Science and Services, College of Nursing, College of Pharmacy, Graduate School of Oceanography, and the University College. Beyond the classrooms, the students are given ample athletic opportunities. The athletic department offers 22 intercollegiate sports and 17 club sports programs. Facilities provided to the students include fitness rooms, indoor track, swimming and diving pools, 12 tennis courts, and two beach volleyball courts. Recreation services are intramural sports, fitness and wellness program, club sports, and aquatic programs. The university library system is inclusive of the University Library (Kingston), the College of Continuing Education Library (Providence), and Pell Marine Science Library (Narragansett). These are the main centers of information provider to the students and faculties. Close to the Atlantic Ocean, the university campus spreads over an area of 1,200 acres. The main attraction of the campus is the Oliver Watson House, a typical Rhode Island colonial two-story farmhouse. Built around 1796, this farmhouse is the oldest structure on the campus.