Start Your Visit WithHistorical Timelines
General Interest Maps
Quinnipiac University is a private, coeducational institution situated just north of New Haven, in Hamden, Connecticut. The campus lies at the foot of Sleeping Giant State Park. The university aims to provide a supportive and stimulating environment for the intellectual and personal growth of undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education students.
Originally known as the Connecticut College of Commerce, Quinnipiac University was founded by Samuel W. Tator in 1929 as a small business college awarding associate's degrees. In 1951, the college changed its name to Quinnipiac College, to honor the Quinnipiack Indian tribe who resided in the Greater New Haven area during the 17th-19th Centuries. Quinnipiac assumed administrative control of Larson College (a private women’s college) in 1952.
The college moved into its current location in Hamden, Connecticut, in 1966. The college began offering master's degree programs in 1970s. In 1995, the American Bar Association fully accredited Quinnipiac to award the Juris Doctor degree. The Quinnipiac School of Law Center was dedicated later in the same year. On July 1, 2000, the Quinnipiac College was renamed to Quinnipiac University to better reflect the quality and diversity of its programs.
Quinnipiac University is a community of more than 8,000 students, faculty and staff. The university offers more than 63 programs of study in communications, health sciences, liberal arts, business, and law, including a well regarded program in physical therapy.
Quinnipiac University campus boasts several academic buildings, 31 residence halls, and a state-of-the-art athletic and recreation facility. The campus also houses the Echlin Health Sciences Center, the Lender School of Business Center, the Ed McMahon Mass Communications Center, and the Arnold Bernhard Library.
Quinnipiac University | Quinnipiac's Digitized Connecticut History Books
Clark, digitized by the Arnold Bernhard Library, Quinnipiac University, March, 2004 A colonial history of the Parish of Mount Carmel, by John H. Dickerman , a 1904 book digitized by the Arnold Bernhard Library in cooperatioQuinnipiac University, March, 2004 A colonial history of the Parish of Mount Carmel, by John H. Dickerman , a 1904 book digitized by the Arnold Bernhard Library in cooperation with The Hamden ...
... of a public university. Cutler modeled Ohio University's charter after Yale University, his own alma mater. On January 8, 1802, the legislature of the Northwest Territory and Governor Arthur St. Clair approved the charter. Originally referred ...
... Georgia, Athens (UGA) January 25, 1915 DeKalb County grants a charter to Emory University January 25, 1915 DeKalb County grants a charter to Emory University January 21, 1940 Crawford Long Hospital, Atlanta, becomes part of Emory University ...