Located at 3580 Mission Inn Avenue in Riverside, California, Riverside Municipal Museum is a community depository that collects, exhibits, and interprets cultural and natural history. The museum opened its doors on December 12, 1924, when the widow of the business magnate Cornelius Earle Rumsey donated his collection of Native American artifacts to the City of Riverside. It was known then as the Cornelius Earle Rumsey Indian Collection. The museum’s collection began to grow, typically through donations by prominent citizens and organizations. Initially located in the basement of the old City Hall building, the museum moved to the basement of the former U.S. Post Office, adjacent to the old City Hall, in 1948. Later, the museum expanded its activities through the purchase of Heritage House, a Queen Anne-style home built in 1891. Items related to anthropology, history, and natural history are included in the museum’s permanent exhibits. The anthropology collection contains more than 20,000 artifacts, including baskets from North America, 17th- and 18th-century Eskimo tools, costumed dolls, and a collection of approximately one dozen silk kimonos. History sections feature early photographs, ephemera, and business records of various packing operations, apart from a fair number of historic quilts, coverlets, and other rolled textiles. There are approximately 3,500 specimens of southern California rocks, minerals, and fossils in the natural history collection. Located on the second floor of the museum, the Nature Lab exhibits such living collections as local and exotic plants and animals.