Founded in 1859, Adrian College is a co-educational college of liberal arts and sciences situated at Adrian, Michigan.
The college is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and affiliated with the United Methodist Church.
Its mission is to empower students with the skills, knowledge, and resources necessary for effective career development. It is also a challenging and caring educational community where students from diverse backgrounds are prepared for active, successful, and responsible lives.
The origin of Adrian College can be traced back to Wesleyan Methodist theological institute founded in 1845 at Leoni, Michigan. Later, in 1855, Michigan Union College was formed with the union of the theological institute with Leoni Seminary, a Methodist institution.
In 1859, Michigan Union College was relocated to Adrian as Adrian College through the efforts of Dr. Asa Mahan, the pastor of the Plymouth Congregational Church.
Downs Hall, built in 1860, is the oldest and only building remaining from Adrian's original campus. Today the hall holds the Stubnitz Art Gallery and Downs Hall Theatre. Some of the other landmarks on campus include the Mound, the One-Piece Threshold, South Hall Bell, the Rock, and the Outdoor Chapel.
The college focuses mainly on undergraduate programs, in addition to the graduate and teacher education programs.
The various academic departments in the college include Accounting and Business Administration, Environmental Studies, History, Philosophy, Communication Arts and Sciences, Economics, Teacher Education, Sociology, Psychology, Interior Design, Religious Studies, Neuroscience, and International Studies.