The Maryland State House, in Annapolis, Mayland, is the oldest State House in United States and is still in continuous legislative use. It is where the Maryland General Assembly - the state's legislature - convenes for three months every year.
The Speaker of the House of Delegates, the President of the Senate, the Governor, and the Lt. Governor have their offices there.
The structure was designed by the prominent colonial architect of the 18th century, Joseph Horatio Anderson. It was built as the third State House on the State Circle, replacing a dilapidated 60-year-old second State House.
The construction began in 1772 – but the progress was hampered by the Revolutionary War – and was eventually completed in 1779. The State House is noted for its wooden dome built without nails, which is the largest and the only one of its type in the United States.
The Maryland State House has the distinction of being the first peace time capitol of United States, from November 26, 1783 to August 13, 1784. It is the only State House in the country to ever have served as the nation’s capitol.
It was in its old senate chamber that General George Washington had famously resigned his commission as Commander-In-Chief of the Continental Army and the Treaty of Paris – which officially brought an end to the Revolutionary War - was ratified.
The Maryland State House has two sections – the old or the original and the new. The original section was built in wood and plaster. Due to growing space constraints, a newer section was added in 1902-06, made from Italian marble. It was designed by Francis Baldwin and Josiah Pennington and a black line on the lobby floor separates the old and new blocks.
The Maryland State House was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1968. The building is currently maintained and administered by the State House Trust.