Oregon State University
Start Your Visit WithHistorical Timelines
General Interest Maps
Oregon State University dates to 1858 when it was established as a private academy in Corvallis, Oregon. In 1865, college-level courses were added, and the first degrees were awarded in 1870. The first graduating class consisted of three persons, including one woman.
As a land grant university, Oregon State University was designated as a state-assisted agricultural college in 1868. Sea grant and space grant designations came later, making the University one of only six universities to hold all three titles.
In 1893, the first football team was organized. The coach was Will H. Bloss, son of the university president, John M. Bloss. On November 11, the team played its first game, defeating Albany College 62-0 in front of an estimated 500 fans. Will Bloss is credited with introducing football to the State of Oregon. The university's first mascot was a coyote named Jimmie; the first reference to the “Beavers” occurred in 1910.
On March 6, 1961, Governor Mark Hatfield signed new legislation that changed the name of the college to Oregon State University.
The university strives to stimulate a lasting attitude of inquiry, openness, and social responsibility, by providing excellent academic programs, educational experiences, and creative scholarship. Presently, the university imparts more than 200 academic programs, through its 12 colleges and schools, including the College of Health and Human Sciences, University Honors College, College of Engineering, College of Veterinary Medicine, College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences, Defense Education College, College of Liberal Arts, College of Pharmacy, College of Forestry, School of Education, College of Business, and College of Agricultural Sciences. Internships, study abroad programs and undergraduate research facilities are also offered.
OSU’s main campus is situated on a 500-acre campus in the heart of the Willamette Valley in Corvallis. Features include 13 residence halls and the LaSells Stewart Center, which serves as a center for conference and performing arts. The university’s main library is the Valley Library, with a collection of two million volumes, 14,000 serials, and more than 500,000 maps and government documents.
The university also has a campus in Bend, Oregon, which is a partnership between OSU, the Central Oregon Community College, the Central community, and three partner universities. Additionally, the OSU Portland Center offers Oregon State University services in the Portland Metro area. Most significant of its programs are the Community College Leadership Program, the Doctor of Pharmacy Program, and the Extended Campus Professional Programs, focusing on professional education and training for businesses, organizations, and professionals.
Peavy Arboretum of Oregon State University
Peavy Arboretum of Oregon State University 8692 Peavy Arboretum Road Corvallis, OR 97330 http://www.cof.orst.edu/cf/forests/arboretum/ Photos and data courtesy the Peavy Arboretum of Oregon State University Back Oregon State University 8692 Peavy Arboretum Road Corvallis, OR 97330 http://www.cof.orst.edu/cf/forests/arboretum/ Photos and data courtesy the Peavy Arboretum of Oregon State University Back Oregon State University Back to the Garden Index ...
Philosophy 302, Great Voyages, Oregon State University
Since 1976 she has been associated with the University of Washington. She was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1974, and to the American Academy of Sciences in 1992, as well as receiving a variety of other prestigeous grants and ...
Shawnee State University
Shawnee State University was established on July 2, 1986, making the institution the most recently established, state-supported, four-year college in Ohio. It is located in Portsmouth, Ohio. Previously to 1986, Shawnee State University's ...