Anacortes is in Skagit County, on Fidalgo Island, the easternmost of the San Juan Island group. It has deep sea port facilities and is the eastern terminus of Washington State Ferries' regular ferry service to Vancouver Island in Canada. The first settlers on Fidalgo Island arrived after the Civil War. There was much speculation that the site would be selected as the western terminus of the Northern Pacific Railroad, but in 1890 Seattle was chosen instead. Anacortes was incorporated in 1891. The name Anacortes is a corruption of the name of city founders Amos Bowman and Anna Curtis Bowman. The Anacortes History Museum is located in the old Carnegie Library building and is operated by the City of Anacortes. The snagboat W. T. Preston is on display at the Snagboat Heritage Center. Anacortes is served by a branch of Skagit Valley College.