Start Your Visit WithHistorical Timelines
General Interest Maps
The Mims-Breedlove-Priest-Weatherton House of Little Rock, Arkansas, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 3, 1998. The dwelling is significant as a fine and virtually unchanged example of the Craftsman-style of architecture, which was popular in Arkansas from about 1915 until the early 1940s.
H.T. Mims contracted with D.H. Shank Construction to complete the structure, and the house was built around 1910. Mims purchased four adjoining lots and constructed four Craftsman-styled homes in the early 1910s.
In 1913, H.T. Mims was deeded the property. It was said that the Mims-Breedlove-Priest-Weatherton house was built as a wedding present to one of the builder's twin daughters; an identical house was built next door. The first owners of the home are listed on record as Mr. Breedlove and wife, Sue L.
From some time in 1919 until 1921, Glenn and Ruby Priest took possession of the house. The house also took on the name Weatherton, for J.B. and Carrie Weatherton, who occupied the home from 1921 until 1966.
The home was vacated in 1966, and was sold to Gladys Cooper, who made several changes to the property: A rear porch was enclosed to form a day room/office, a carport was added, and an outbuilding consisting of a servant's room and garage was torn down. Following a series of owners, the home was purchased by Lillian and Jim Porter, in 1977.
In this part of Little Rock, many modest homes of character have been destroyed in favor of grander residences. There was at one time, at least four Craftsman-styled homes standing on adjoining properties in the neighborhood. One of them was demolished and replaced, and another has had siding added.
The Mims-Breedlove-Priest-Weatherton House is the best example of a side-gable, Craftsman-style home in that area of the Country Club Heights addition.
The house has a low-pitched gable roof with extended rafter ends and distinctive knee brackets. Other Craftsman-style features adorn the place: a front-facing, shed-roofed dormer with decorative braces under the eaves, stone exterior chimney, small, high windows beside the chimney, multi-pane sash over single pane sash windows, and floor-to-ceiling piers supporting a wide porch.
The house has remained authentic, while neighboring contemporary structures have been upgraded or destroyed for progress.
We Shall Overcome -- Oscar Stanton De Priest House
De Priest took the House restaurant issue to a special bipartisan House committee. In a three month-long heated debate, the Republican minority argued that the restaurant's discriminatory practice violated 14th Amendment rights to equal access ...
Drawing of Fort Mims
Kitchen (the structure to the upper left of Mims' house, by the tree) 11. Mims' House (the building right in the middle of the stockade) 12. Randon's House (to the lower right of Mims' House, down by the soldiers' tents) 13. Old Gate-Way -- open ...
Livingston Mims at AllExperts
... in the state legislature from 1859 to 1861.During the United States Civil War, Mims served under General John C. Pemberton and saw action in the Battle of Jackson, Champion Hill and Vicksburg Campaign.Shortly after those losses, he joined ...