Ambridge is located in Beaver County, on the Ohio River 16 miles northwest of Pittsburgh. In 1824, George Rapp, the leader of the Harmony Society, established a colony on communistic principles. It was known as Economy. Its location was within present day Ambridge. Old Economy Village is now a historic site with more than a dozen buildings.
The borough was incorporated in 1905 and named for the American Bridge Company, the largest steel fabricator in the region.
Trinity Episcopal School for Ministry is a relatively new Episcopal seminary, having begun classes in 1976. Sewickley Heights History Center in nearby Sewickley Heights records the history of this haven for the wealthy residents of Pittsburgh. Beaver County's history is on display at the Beaver County Historical Museum, in a restored railroad depot in the town of Beaver.