The Norwalk Museum is situated on the corner of N. Main and Marshall streets in the heart of South Norwalk, Connecticut. Opening its doors in 1998, the museum is housed in the restored former City Hall. It displays a varied collection of Norwalk art, furniture, and artifacts, each representing the history, lives, and culture of the local people from its settlement to the present.
The Cuneo Conference Room and the Lockwood Gallery are some of the important areas in the museum. Located upstairs, the Cuneo Conference Room is a large, carpeted meeting area graced with numerous old maps and various pictures from the museum’s collections. It is available for meetings and other social functions. The Lockwood Gallery serves as an inventory of the museum’s extensive art collection and the creation of a database of catalogued material.
An extensive collection of Norwalk pottery and photographic exhibits on Norwalk's oystering industry and railroads can be seen on the museum’s rotunda. Found in the rear of the museum is the Merchants Court, which hosts four large exhibit windows featuring such artifacts as Norwalk-made clocks, hats manufactured in Norwalk factories, Victorian toys and games, and a vast collection of Norwalk pottery, some of which were created by Smith and Day artisans in the pottery shop once located at the foot of Mill Hill.
Further, the museum exhibits antique objects and modern Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls and books, believed to have been created in the Silvermine studio of Johnny Gruelle. Also included in the collections are archives that contain records of Norwalk’s business past, documents, books, literature, rare photographs, post cards, and objects related to Norwalk’s 350-year history.
The museum also includes a gift store carrying an array of items, such as Raggedy Ann dolls, cards by Cassie Foss, and other Norwalk memorabilia.
Off-site search results for "Norwalk Museum"...
Many of Huron County’s first residents were from Connecticut. Norwalk grew quickly, claiming approximately 1,800 inhabitants in 1846. That same year, the town contained five churches, fourteen stores, one bank, and two newspaper offices. The ...
The Battle of Norwalk
... First Name: Last Name: Location: The Battle of Norwalk April 28, 1777 at Norwalk, Connecticut Americans Commanded by Brig. Gen. Benedict Arnold ForcesKilledWoundedCaptured - 20 40 - British Commanded by Gen. ?? Erskine ...
Their directory includes art museums, science museums, history museums, zoos, archaeology, aquariums, and more. Musee rates each museum site on a scale of one to six (six is the highest) and also marks each entry with icons to let you know ...