The Erie Maritime Museum opened its doors in 1998, to present the story of the Niagara, the reconstructed flagship of Pennsylvania and the warship that won the Battle of Lake Erie in the War of 1812.
The museum sheds light on the ship's history and the region's lustrous legacy of maritime heritage. When in port, the ship is the major exhibit. Berthed within yards of the museum, the Niagara is viewable from the building's bayside picture window.
Inside, the exhibits of the museum include a steam-powered electricity-generating station and a reconstruction of the midship section of the Lawrence, Oliver Hazard Perry’s first flagship during the battle. The replicated Lawrence comes complete with a mast, spars and rigging, and offers hands-on learning in the ways of sail handling.