In September 1813, Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry defeated and captured a British squadron of warships at the Battle of Lake Erie, which was an integral part of the War of 1812. This battle secured control of Lake Erie for the United States and enabled General William Henry Harrison to conduct a successful invasion of western Upper Canada.
Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial, constructed between 1912 and 1915, was built not only to commemorate the American naval triumph, but also "to inculcate the lessons of international peace by arbitration and disarmament."
The memorial rises 352 feet above Lake Erie, dominanting the landscape of Put-in-Bay Island. Beneath the rotunda floor are the remains of the three American and three British officers who were killed during the Battle of Lake Erie, and carved into the walls are the names of Perry's vessels, along with the names of the Americans who were killed or wounded during the battle.
In 1936, the memorial was established as part of the National Park Service by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.