Dominican University of California
Start Your Visit WithHistorical Timelines
General Interest Maps
The Dominican University of California is situated about 11 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Rafael, California. The university was named after St. Dominic de Guzman. From its homely beginning at Meadowlands, the college grew into a full-fledged university in San Rafael.
The Dominican University of California was chartered in 1890, by the Dominican sisters, who moved their motherhouse from Benicia to San Rafael, in 1889. The educational institution was started with the encouragement from the faculty of the University of California Berkeley.
In 1915, the university was established as a junior college which was later, in 1917, converted into a four-year college. The college was known as Dominican College and was the first Catholic college in California to grant the B.A. degree to women.
In its developing stages, even during the time of Great Depression, new facilities were added and material progress was taking place.
Dominican College of San Rafael was recognized by the American Association of University Women, in 1931. In 1932, the college established the Marin County Chapter and became a member of the Northwestern Association of Colleges.
It became a co-educational institution, in 1971. The college underwent significant transformation over that period of time. During the academic year 2000-2001, the Dominican College of San Rafael became the Dominican University of California.
Dominican is known and respected internationally as an independent, Catholic university offering academic programs in various disciplines. The university was known for the undergraduate and graduate-level Nursing, Psychology, and Teaching programs. Some of the academic fields include Arts and Sciences, Business and International Studies, Education, and Leadership Studies.
The other facilities on campus include Pennafort - a residence hall built in 1958, Caleruega - a dining hall and kitchen, and Archbishop Alemany Library.
The Dominican University of California is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
FACULTY HANDBOOK--BRIEF HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA
... 1855 -- College of California chartered 1860 -- Berkeley site of College of California dedicated 1862 -- Morrill Act: Federal grants of public lands to establish colleges teaching agriculture and mechanical arts 1866 -- Legislature ...
University of California History Digital Archives
These resources also provide links to documents within the UCHDA's growing archival collection. Copyright © 1999-2005 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved. Last updated 05/28/04.
California, University of, Berkeley -- Britannica Student Encyclopedia
... Student Encyclopedia Article Page 1 of 1 oldest member of the University of California System, founded in 1868. South Hall, an ivy-covered redbrick building, remains from the 19th-century campus, as do several oak trees and the eucalyptus grove.