Holy Names University is a private, coeducational university located at 3500 Mountain Blvd. in Oakland, California.
The university was established in 1868, by six sisters, who arrived in California from Montreal, Canada, to provide education to the poor. These sisters were invited to Oakland by Father Michael King to establish a school for girls and to train future teachers.
They started a school on the shores of Lake Merritt, Oakland, and gradually the school developed. In 1955, the graduate division was added and formally admitted male students. Later, in 1957, the institution was relocated to the present site.
Holy Names University’s degree programs include the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Music, Master of Arts, Master of Business Administration, Master of Education, Master of Music, and Master of Science in Nursing.
The student-faculty ratio is 13:1, and this helps to promote close interaction between the faculty and students. The university has also a designed learning center to provide academic support.
The hub of the university is its library, which is committed to facilitate research and enrich educational experiences. The library’s collection includes papers of creative ideas, varied viewpoints, and historical and social context.
The Kennedy Art Center, opened in 1964 at the university, features music classrooms, art studios, faculty offices, and a resource center.
In 2004, Holy Names University was named “Best Value: A Great School at a Great Price," by U.S. News & World Report. At the time of this writing, it was ranked third among Western colleges and universities for diversity, and is accreditated by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.