The Artesia Historical Museum and Art Center is located in the historic Moore-Ward house at 505 West Richardson Avenue in Artesia, New Mexico.
Since its opening in 1970, the museum has become an important resource for education and research. Focusing on local and area history, the museum can arrange school tours, on-site trunk shows, lectures, and exhibits.
The historic Moore-Ward house was constructed for Charles and Anna Moore during 1904 1905. The stones used in its construction were hauled from the Rio Penasco - a small stream just south of Artesia.
The building was entered in the New Mexico State Register of Cultural properties in, June 1976. It was included in the National Register of Historic Places circa 1984.
Artesia Historical Museum offers a variety of art and historical exhibits. The general collection includes the 1880s -1970s photographs, newspapers, city of Artesia archives, restored 1920s-era kitchen, children's room with hats and clothes, farm and ranch stuff, and oil and mineral deposit artifacts.
The museum library contains around 200 books (local and area history) and 10,000-plus photos and slides. About 2,800 square feet of this 3,400-square-foot facility is dedicated to the exhibition area.
The museum has a lecture hall with a capacity of 25 and is partially accessible. The art center, next to the museum, features works by area artists.