Trout Hall – situated 414 East Walnut Street at Fourth Street - is the oldest home in Allentown, Pennsylvania.
It was constructed in the early 1770s by James Allen, son of the community’s founder, William Allen, as a summer home, on the property bestowed to him by his father. He named the house after his father’s hunting and fishing lodge.
It was in this country home that James Allen and his family stayed during the dark days of the American Revolution.
In the later part of 19th century, the home was completely encased within the walls of Muhlenberg College. It was restored in 1905, and became the first home of the Lehigh County Historical Society. Trout Hall, today, is a house museum maintained by the society.
Trout Hall is open to school tours and public visits.