Grand Trunk Station is located on Lincoln Street in Lewiston, Maine. Known as "The Depot" for the Lewiston and Auburn Railroad, this little train station linked the Canadian National Railroad System to Lewiston.
The station gained enormous significance in the 1875-1899 time frame, as thousands of French Canadians migrated to Lewiston through this way.
Grand Trunk Station was a turning point in Lewiston's history. At the time of the Civil War, many Canadian workers were employed in Lewiston mills and shoe shops for military purposes.
Later in the 1920s, when the Canadians found that they could get better wages, they came in droves, stepped off the train on Lincoln Street, and settled here. The area where they settled is known even today as "Little Canada."
Not much of the remains of the station are seen here, but one can identify that there was a station here once. The building, which is a rectangular brick structure, is now available for educational, recreational, and cultural purposes. It also functions as a museum.
Off-site search results for "Grand Trunk Station"...
Highmount-in-the-Catskills, N.Y. Grand Hotel, View from the R.R. Station
Highmount-in-the-Catskills, N.Y. Grand Hotel, View from the R.R. Station Postcard, postmarked 1908 Images are from the collection of Timothy J. Mallery. The Catskill Archive website and all contents, unless otherwise specified, are ©2000 Timothy J.
Traveling Resource Trunks
Complete instructional information is included with each trunk. Trunks are available in Kansas on a first come, first served basis and are free of charge except for shipping. The borrower is responsible for shipping charges or picking up the trunk.
U S A History WARS - Spanish American War - Isla Grande 1898 Isla Grande, in Subic Bay near Manila, was occupied by forces under Adm. George Dewey. The German gunboat Irene, which had attempted to hamper American operations, was forced to withdraw.